Nothing is ever predictable on The Tech Ranch, especially where the conversation may lead between the “Guru of Geek” Marlo Anderson and “Tech Geezer” Jim Walsh. This episode of The Tech Ranch is a reflection of how tech talk is identical to technology today–constantly changing. But before we get started, a congratulatory shout out is in order to North Dakota Native and the new Miss America, Cara Mund!
Natural disasters are a part of what is going on in today’s news headlines. Hurricanes, tornado’s, wild fires, you name it. As we watch the news and see the devastation caused by the Mother Nature, we are reminded on how far technology has come in notifying society about preparation of a possible natural disaster. Most people follow local warnings about weather and other emergency situations. Many of us have apps on our smart devices that indicate if a storm in brewing, what we should do as precautionary measures and how to best handle an emergency situation. Here are a few tips to better prepare yourself and your family in the case of an emergency:
- Find a dependable source as your go-to guide in any emergency situation. Local weather apps and activating the emergency notification on your smart device will keep you safe.
- Use your local emergency system as a warning guide.
- Have an emergency evacuation plan set in place.
- Investigate any warning thoroughly to ensure the warning is real and legit.
- Always use common sense in any emergency situation.
Natural disasters not only brings out the worse part of Mother Nature, they also bring out the best in people. We are a society that likes to help those who have been impacted by unforeseen forces of nature. Sadly, it’s also a great opportunity for scams to occur. Sometimes it’s hard to distinguish who is legit and who is out to look for ways to take advantage of people with kind hearts who are willing to help. Here are a few tips to help decide where you should send those donations:
- Research the company asking for help before making a donation.
- Check with your local organizations. Many rally together to send a large donation.
- Ask your church or pastor if they have any suggestions on where to send donations. Many of these organizations have collection for donations already in place.
- Donate to the places you are familiar with.
- Give your time if you are able.
Recap, Reinvent, Release
As with everything done on The Tech Ranch, there is always a chance of absurd tech news making the show. Some how, some where (in Montana) and emergency broadcast was released warning residents of a zombie apocalypse. Obviously the system was hacked with the intentions of a good laugh. However, a few residents were wondering if the warning was true and called to local police station in Great Falls. All’s well that ends well, and no zombie’s were hurt during this prank.
If you would like the “Guru of Geek” to do a product review for you and have it featured on The Tech Ranch, let us know! Leave us a comment on this episode or call 701-204-6674 for more information.
Join the “Guru of Geek” Marlo Anderson, “Tech Geezer” Jim Walsh and “Miss Metaverse” Katie Aquino every week for a new episode of the Tech Ranch.
Broadcast Date September 11, 2017 Episode 285