Today “Guru of Geek” Marlo Anderson, “Tech Geezer” Jim Walsh and “Rockin’ Dave” Blair discuss technological advancements in 2017. As the door to 2017 closes, one hundred doors open in 2018 in medicine, automation, quantum computing and much more.
2017 In Review
The Tech Ranch was far from being bored in 2017. With so much technology to talk about, it was hard to decide which topic to cover during 2017. The “Guru of Geek” has tried to narrow a long list of his favorites. Here are a few amazing advancements in 2017:
- Reversing Paralysis – The ability to restore movement caused by spinal cord injuries is one of the most amazing advancements in today’s medicine. Scientists are making remarkable progress at using brain implants to reverse paralysis. Full reversal of paralysis should be available in 10 to 15 years.
- Face-Detecting – Face++ Cognitive Services is providing 120 million people the ability to make payments, gain access to facilities and even help catch criminals. The technology is also being used in several popular apps.
- China has implemented face detecting software.
- Quasiparticles – Advances in quantum computers are swiftly becoming a reality. Companies like Google, IBM, Intel and Microsoft are funding research of quasiparticles. This research will eventually allow computers to rewrite encryption, materials science, pharmaceutical research and artificial intelligence. Research groups indicate that computers with unimaginable power will be available within 3-5 years. However, is this safe?
- Hereditary Disorders – Scientists have solved fundamental problems that can provide cures for rare hereditary disorders. Treatments have been proven successful on patients who have rare hereditary diseases. Companies such as Spark Therapeutics, BioMarin, GenSight Biologics, UniQure are working on genetic research. The year 2018 will the year to watch medicine take on cancer, heart disease and other common illnesses.
Listen in to hear more details on these topics and more during the show. Of course, there is a moment when the Guru of Geek talks about autonomous vehicles. Also, “Rockin’ Dave” Blair provides a list of 2017 technology fails.
If you would like the “Guru of Geek” to do a product review for you and have it featured on The Tech Ranch or on the online review management chatmeter, let us know! Leave us a comment on this episode or call 701-204-6674 for more information.
Join the “Guru of Geek” Marlo Anderson and “Tech Geezer” Jim Walsh every week for a new episode of the Tech Ranch.
Broadcast Date December 18, 2017 Episode 298